- 240 gm chickpeas (cooked)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small red onion
- 75 gm mushrooms
- 1 medium-sized tomato
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 3 tbsp rosemary leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oven to 180c
- Mash chickpea beans in a medium mixing bowl with the back of the fork (see note)
- Dice the tomato and add to the bowl of chickpea mash
- Finely dice the mushrooms, onion and garlic
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat
- Add garlic, onions, mushrooms to pan and saute until soft
- While vegetables are cooking dice the rosemary leaves and add to the mash
- Add the cumin and tahini to the mixing bowl
- After the veggies are soft, cool slightly and then add to the mixing bowl.
- Mix ingredients well
- Shape into patties and place on a baking sheet
- Bake until firm and golden approx 30 mins
I prefer to leave the chickpeas chunky – if you prefer a smoother burger feel free to mash longer.
I encourage you to use organic tahini whenever possible.
I used white button mushrooms in this recipe – shitake mushrooms would work just as well.
If you do not have time to cook your chickpeas you can certainly use canned but please drain and rinse before using to eliminate extra sodium.