This is Italian Rice Balls is a great dish to use up your leftover rice and veggies. It’s inspired by the Sicilian recipe, Arancini di Riso but this healthier version is baked in the oven.
3 cups cooked rice
¼ cup flax meal
¼ cup grated parmesan
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp Dried sage
1 tsp dried rosemary
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 diced red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 ripe tomato
1 tsp pink salt
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 170oc
- Heat the oil in a frying pan
- Saute the onion & garlic until soft
- Dice and add the tomato
- Then add all the herbs and fry for another minute to release their fragrance
- Finally, add the rice until it is warmed through
- Now transfer all to a large mixing bowl
- Add all the remaining ingredients and combine well
- The parmesan will start to melt in the mixture and the flax meal will help to bind all of the ingredients
- Shape the mixture into 2-3 inch sized balls
- Place all the balls on a roasting tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins until the edges start to look crispy
- Remove and place on serving plate
- This is a versatile mixture with the base of rice, add more herbs such as tarragon or sage and seasonings as you wish.
- Italian Rice Balls works perfectly with fish or grilled meats or alternatively with roasted vegetables or other vegetables such as peas or cremini mushrooms.
- There are also versions with pistachios and pine nuts so this is something to consider when experimenting with your own version.