Black Sesame Seed Cookies are not only delicious but they are also incredibly healthy! Black sesame is a powerhouse ingredient with health benefits ranging from digestive health to relieving stress and anxiety. Crazy that a cookie can actually be helpful to your health instead of harmful – right??
If you are looking for other ways to get more sesame in your diet I highly suggest you try these Sesame Date Balls too!
3 Flax egg (1 egg = 1tbsp ground flax & 3tbsp warm water whisked)
1½ cup teff flour (see below)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp sea salt
½ cup maple syrup
¼ cup black sesame paste
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup crushed walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 160c
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper
- Make up the flax egg
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well
- Combine the rest of the wet ingredients with the flax egg into the bowl
- Add the wet & dry ingredients & mix in the walnuts
- Take a handful of the mixture a time and roll to a ball
- Using the palm of hand press flat on the lined baking sheet
- Bake for 10-15 minutes allowing the centre to stay moist and the outside small cracks
- Remove and place on a wire tray to cool
Store in a sealed cookie jar for up to one week
I only use gluten-free grains for the flours in baking so I tend to opt for ancient grains like teff or buckwheat that are less likely to be GMO. However, this flour can be substituted very easily to almond flour, oat flour or combined flours like coconut flour which is softer.