Tomato and Basil Salad is a simple salad that pairs beautifully with your summer menu. As a variation, replace the extra virgin olive oil with garlic oil or herb-infused oil.
4 large heirloom tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh basil
3 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp pink salt
1 tsp coarse black pepper (freshly ground)
● Slice each tomato into thirds, stalk side up, remove the green pit with the point of your knife
● Then slice each third into half to make nice bite-sized pieces
● Place in a nice serving bowl and drizzle with the oil
● Sprinkle the salt over evenly and grind over fresh black pepper
● Finally, garnish with basil
It’s fine to use other tomatoes in this Tomato and Basil Salad. But tomatoes are the star of the show, go for high quality and preferably organic.
Run out of basil? Try using a herb-infused olive oil. Try thyme, oregano or marjoram.
You can make this ahead of time by cutting up the tomatoes. Add the basil and olive oil closer to serving time and this will prevent the salad from turning soupy.
Pair it with this Cheesy Mushroom Pasta for a meal that’s both comforting and healthy.